* Shop at resale baby stores, consignment shops, or garage sales to find a used baby crib. Make sure that it meets crib safety standards. If you find a crib that needs some TLC (tender loving care), you may want to consider refinishing the crib. Be careful of any crib made before 1978 because they may have been painted with lead paint.
* Borrow a crib from a friend or family member. Many people have baby cribs stored in their garage or attic either because they can’t stand to part with it or they are saving it in case they decide to have another child. Ask if you can borrow or rent it from them.
* If you would prefer to use a new crib in your baby’s room, it is possible to find cribs for around $100-200.
* If you can afford to, you may want to consider splurging on a convertible crib. They convert to grow with your baby, starting as a crib then converting to a toddler bed and daybed or full size bed as they grow. It will save you money down the line when you only have to purchase a new mattress instead of buying several beds as your child grows.
* Decide what you really want and need to have for nursery furniture and decide what you are willing to go with out. Are you really going to use a changing table? I never had one for my son. I found it easier to dress him and change his diapers on the floor or couch. If you have your heart set on a changing table, consider getting one that is also a dresser so that you will be able to use it even after your baby outgrows the need for a changing table.
* Garage Sale It! Again, garage sales are a great way to find furniture at bargain prices. Spend a few weekends hitting them until you find something that will work for your nursery. Be sure to go early, the best stuff usually sells first thing in the morning.
* Check your local charity store. A Goodwill store is a great place to get incredible bargains on used furniture. You will pay a fraction of what you would spend by buying new furniture. Even if you don’t buy all your nursery furniture here, you may find a cute toy box or a bookcase that you can refinish to match the room.
Nursery Bedding on a Budget
* While you can probably find nursery bedding at a garage sale, baby resale shop, or even at Goodwill, there are many stores such as Walmart, Kmart, and Target, to name a few, that offer discount baby nursery bedding at very affordable prices so you may just want to buy a brand new bedding set for your baby if you can.
Saving Money on Décor and Other Essentials for the Baby Nursery
* Search for artwork and wall hangings at discount stores such as Target, WalMart, or Kmart. This is also a situation where you might have some luck by hitting the garage sales and Goodwill stores.
* Do without a diaper genie if you can. They aren’t necessary to have. We had one for our son but we usually ended up walking the diaper to the curb anyway. If you really want to have one, or if you live in an apartment where it would be more necessary to have one, try to find one at a baby resale shop.
Be sure to check out my new blog, Cool Baby Stuff, for help finding the latest and greatest cool baby stuff including clothes, nursery decor, furniture, gear, and more!